Sunday, July 28, 2013

Order up! Cafe du Muses Shoe

Been at this one for quite a while, but at long last its finished: the Cafe du Monde/Muses shoe!





Working with white glitter is a nightmare, but I do like the final result (it just wouldn't have been a Cafe du Monde shoe without those iconic green and white stripes). I spray-painted a white base coat on a low heel shoe, then covered it with several coats of Martha Stewart "crystal" (I usually do about 1 or 2 coats, I did 3 coats plus touch-ups). For applying the white glitter, I also mixed a little white paint in with the Mod Podge to add some opaqueness.

I did the green stripes a few at time because mistakes were going to be tougher to correct on the white background. The green is the best match to the Cafe du Monde green in my stash, Oriental Trading green (from the Halloween assortment). The interior and lettering (Cafe du Muses rather than Cafe du Monde) are a nice chicory-coffee-brown courtesy of Recollections "espresso."

I lines the edges between the white and green stripes with white iridescent sequin trim (leftover from a friend's bridal second-line umbrella) to make them a little crisper. Regular sequin trim wasn't going to lie properly over the stripes, so I did the top and bottom edge with a heavier silver braid trim (I have that particular trim in silver and gold, both from Joann's with a coupon; I used the gold on this shoe). I made a nice big fan of feathers with coffee brown feathers in the back, and shorter green and white stripes on feathers in the front, and hid the bottom of the feather cluster with a green rhinestone.

Only trouble is now I'm craving beignets...

No comments:

Post a Comment