Saturday, July 13, 2013

Research - Krewe of Muses Signature Floats

The parades on my "must-see" list all seem to have signature floats, and, being as prone to sentimentality as I am, these tend to be my favorites. Bacchus (the krewe probably most famous for having signature floats) features the Baccha-whoppa, Baccha-Gator and the Kong family (among others). Orpheus has the Trojan Horse, Smokey Mary (video) and the breathtaking Leviathan (video). My favorite Rex moment is without a doubt watching the Boeuf Gras roll by.

Naturally, Muses has some great signature floats, and I'd love to do shoe-themed nods to them all:

(1) The Title Float

I've already talked a little bit about the title float (here and here). The Muses website leads me to believe the Muses officers populate this float. To recap my previous notes, the title float is a lovely deep blue and decorated with big green foliage (edged with gold leaf), white and silver stars and powder blue clouds. Across the front is MUSES written in NOLA-style tiles (blue-lettered white tiles complete with cracks and rough edges), with fiber optics in the letters so the colors shift beautifully.

Some reference images: here, here, and here

(2) The Shoe Float

The Muses' fiber optic high heel that the honorary Muse rides in has got to be one of the most iconic floats in the whole of Carnival. I'm not planning a Muses Shoe-themed Muses Shoe (too much, even for me), but after the first year (when I wrote "Muses" on the shoes in cursive), I starting trying to match the font on the shoes more to the main float (Nice clear image of "Muses" written on the float here, example of a shoe where I was trying to match that font style here)

(3) The Bathtub

I'm not sure what the story is behind the Bathtub, but it rolls every year. I have some 3D rubber ducky appliques and glass bubbles (leftover from a previously mentioned Christmas decor purge) that I think would make great embellishments on a bathtub shoe.

Some reference images: here and here
A great aerial shot showing the tiles and hot pink fringe along the bottom: here

(4) The Sirens

Not to be confused with the mermaid-themed marching krewe, Sirens of New Orleans, the Sirens float in Muses was introduced in 2013 (as documented here and here) and features "a trio of topless mythological temptresses at the bow and elaborate Louisiana-inspired decoration from stem to stern." It's also the Krewe of Muses' first glittered float, which is awesome. I've never seen it in person (as it debuted Mardi Gras 2013), but the pictures alone are just gorgeous. How over-the-top-amazing is that glittery pink and purple octopus hairdo?

Reference images: herehere (scroll all the way down) and here, slideshow in this article

How I'm going to do a Sirens shoe is TBD at the moment, but I'm keeping my mind open.

No comments:

Post a Comment