Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ruby Slippers!


When it comes to iconic shoes (particularly sparkly famous shoes) the Ruby Slippers from the Wizard of Oz pretty much top the list. Making a Ruby Slipper Muse shoe is what I imagine a Jedi feels like making his or her first light saber. Technically this is the second swing I've taken at the Ruby Slipper, as I was married in a pair of them (my husband is from Kansas).

I researched Ruby Slippers for a while, and ultimately decided I didn't want to go too replica-ish with mine. I wanted it to be a little more abstracted and modern, but still have a classic "designer" quality. (Side bar - for a lot of cool takes on the Ruby Slipper, I recommend checking out this etsy shop for inspiration: Princess Pumps, particularly this exceptionally gorgeous pair)

The exterior I did in Recollections (color "cherry"), though I think Martha Stewart "garnet" would also work quite well. The shoe was the one I experimented with in this post.

Inside the shoe is a little landscape from the Wizard of Oz: yellow brick road and blue sky. The emerald city is at the back of the shoe at the end of the yellow brick road, and in the sky you can see the Wicked Witch's sky writing: SURRENDER SHOES. I lined the edges with red sequin trim, embellished some red poppies with glitter and black rhinestones and made a red bow out of foam, glitter and sequins.

I did the Emerald City in three pieces so there would be depth when they were stacked and glued
Glitter on the poppies' edges, and the wee glittery black witch silhouette 

Yellow brick road and blue sky (witch, sky-writing and Emerald City haven't been added yet)
It's really tough to get a picture of it, but here's the Emerald City at the end of the yellow brick road

The sky-writing over Emerald City (SURRENDER SHOES) with the little Wicked Witch



The bow I made as a nod to the little bow on the original shoes.

Poppies!

Emerald City green sole (Oriental Trading green, from the Halloween collection)

The finished shoe (apart from "Muses" and the year)


4 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I stumbled upon these online and thought, "Oh my God, if I caught this shoe at Muses, I'd faint" And I read your blog to learn that you are a Muse! How funny! I am yet to actually catch ANY shoe at Muses, but I will continue to try! You are a fantastic artist!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I missed this comment in May...anyways, thank you so much! I'm not actually a Muse (as much as I'd love to be), I just do shoes for friends who ride and for my sister who sub rides. I'm also hoping to sub ride one of these days *fingers crossed*

      I've never caught a shoe either, but yes - keep the faith!!! The fact that they're so rare is what makes them so special and so magical! Each rider only gets to bring 30, and not all the riders bring them. I think the shoes are getting better and better every year, so it'll be worth the wait. Also, the parade is so fabulous, a shoe is just a bonus! Everyone says signs are the best chance of getting a shoe, I may try that this year. The year my sister rode she gave all but two of hers to complete strangers.

      Thank you so much for visiting the blog, so glad you like the shoes!!

      Delete