Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Jewel Box Shoe

Stanley: What’s a rhinestone? 
Stella: Next door to glass
 - A Streetcar Named Desire

NOLA recently held the Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival, and as I've always loved that quote about rhinestones, it seemed a good time to post this particular shoe (which I've been calling the Jewel Box Shoe).

I've been looking at various totally rhinestone-covered shoe designs (for example, these boots, these heels on etsy, and any number of the shoes in this etsy shop) for a while, and I wanted to try a shoe that was semi-covered in rhinestones, but not entirely (so the glitter could still show through).

I started out glittering a pretty classic pump. All the glitter here was Recollections (the exterior purple is "Muse," the interior and heel are "Gold" and the sole is "Raspberry"). I lined the edges (around the top and sole of the shoe and along the seam at the back) with gold sequins.

A terrible picture, but the only one of have of the glittered shoe before it got covered in rhinestones
Once the shoe was totally glittered, I started gluing on a mix of random rhinestones I had in my stash using E6000. It would've been tough to apply all the rhinestones with hot glue, but I did notice the silver paint backing on some of the lower quality rhinestones reacted with the solvent in the E6000 and re-solubilized a smidge.






Pink sole, gold sequin edge around the sole.

The rhinestones remind me a bit of the Flying Horses at City Park (I remember being just fascinated by those big glass stones inset in the horses). Very happy with it overall, bagging for now (more details to add later).

No comments:

Post a Comment