Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Glitters, Paints and Techniques to Try - Part 1

My resources are limited when it comes to Muses shoes, partly by design. The saying goes: "Do it fast, do it cheap, do it well...you only get to pick two." The challenge of trying to maximize the quality of the end product while minimizing cost is a big part of the fun for me. I like to think that trying to push my boundaries of patience and creativity from time to time is good for me mentally.

The trouble with this approach is, I tend to not want to "waste" any time or resources on trying new things. My general approach of combining Mod Podge with a combination of any of my "go to" glitters usually works beautifully, so despite the embarrassment of craft product riches out there, I don't really stray from my process.

But if my exposure to the pharmaceutical industry has taught me nothing, it's the value of investing in R&D, so I'm going to keep a list of New Stuff to Try, and make an effort to give new things a whirl as well.

(1) Krylon Glitter Blast spray glitter
I talked about my concerns with Krylon Glitter Blast a little here, but in spite of all the abysmal reviews, I do still want to try it myself. Mom had a coupon to burn at Michael's and procured this fabulous shade of purple (Glitter Glitz):


So we're gonna take that for a spin. Reading the reviews on using the spray suggest you want to (a) base coat your shoes with a similar color before glittering (which I think is a good idea anyhow) and (b) get everything lined up and ready to glitter in case you can't stop once you press the nozzle.

(2) Oriental Trading glitter assortments:
I've never tried them before, but oriental trading has some glitter assortments with 4 to 5 tubes (that are 2.5 ox each) grouped by a theme, like the Springtime assortment (pastels) and Halloween assortment (purple, green, black and orange). The five or four tube assortments are both $8.50, and the glitter is described as "very fine" (too chunky = no good for Muses shoes, in my experience). If this glitter is suitable (sparkly/fine enough), you'd be getting 10-12.5 ounces of glitter for $8.50, plus shipping ($0.85-$0.68 an ounce, before shipping). If you were already placing an order for something else at Oriental Trading, that could be a mighty fine glitter deal (on par with some of the best deals at Michael's or Joann's).

(3) Glitter Paint
There are a lot of paints with glitter built into them, and I've never really investigated them much because I assumed they couldn't achieve as much sparkle as the pure, uncut glitter (Wow, I really do sound like a glitter addict). I've been thinking I should try some out, because the potential reduction in glittery/glue-y messiness cannot be discounted (I'll be better able to estimate the sparkle-for-mess trade off when I actually evaluate the alternative).

Some specific options:
Martha Stewart glitter paint (I think Joann's and Michael's carry this line)
Folk Art Extreme Glitter paint by Plaid: product info here, interesting Craft Test Dummies product review here

No comments:

Post a Comment