Monday, March 25, 2013

Repeat shoes - King Cake Shoe version 2.0

I'm rattling off a few repeats of 2013 shoes that I particularly liked: the King Cake Shoe, the Hubig's Pie Shoe and the Zebra Diva Shoe. This time I'm experiencing less of a time crunch, so I can document the process with a little more detail.

For the king cake shoe, the base is a red suede shoe which I think gives the final coloring some warmth. I mix four shades of gold and tan and a copious amount of cinnamon to achieve the final king cake color:



After the shoe is totally brioched up (that's a thing, right?), I added "icing" (a bit of a non-canon move because the ideal King Cake I'm envisioning is the famously icing-free McKenzie's version). Icing was represented by a nice slathering of slightly iridescent white puff paint (color "white mist").



Glitter representing sugar was added while the paint was still wet enough to secure it: Martha Stewart "sugar plum," "sour apple," and "lemon drop." It was accidental, but I love that all three "sugar" glitters are named for edible treats and have a candy-ish quality to them.

King Cake shoe v. 2.0 after "icing" and glittering


I seriously debated having a "cherry bonus" on the second iteration of this shoe. The cherry bonus (not its technical term per se, but the description I like best) was to the best of my knowledge unique to the McKenzies king cakes of old. It was a piece on the end with a big bright red candied cherry and a burst of sprinkles and, if memory serves, always housed the baby. I ultimately decided against it because it seemed like it might be too obscure a reference. My inability to turn up an photographic evidence online supports this theory (this and this are all I've turned up, and they're both recreations). 

A few more shots of the semi-finished shoe: 




I'm bagging and putting this one away for now. It'll get some more detail later on, including "Muses" and the year written on the platform, a king cake baby or two. Two down!

No comments:

Post a Comment