Saturday, March 16, 2013

A MASSIVE Collection of Shoe Glittering Tutorials

Because there are a smabillion shoe tutorials online already, I won't bring the count up to a smabillion and one by writing up my version. Instead, here is a list of all the tutorials I have at one time or another had a look at. I'll continue adding here as I find useful things.

Glue + Glitter Tutorials:
Pixie in Pumps Glitter Shoe Tutorial
Teresa Does It Glitter Shoe Tutorial
The Swell Life Rainbow Glitter Shoes Tutorial
Craft Foxes Ruby Slipper tutorial from Witch Craft
The Sparkle Queen DIY Sparkly Wedges
Martha Stewart Glittered Sneakers
I Love to Create Blog Glitter Shoes Tutorial
"How I Pimped Out My Wedding Shoes"
WildFlower DIY Glitter Shoes
WobiSobi Glittered Heels
A Pair and a Spare DIY Glitter Boots
She Hearts Art DIY glitter shoes
Handmaker of Things' DIY glitter ombre shoes
Another blogger's roundup of tutorials

Krylon Glitter Blitter:

I Spy DIY Glitter pumps (using Krylon Glitter Blast)
Notes on using Krylon Glitter Blast to Glitter Shoes
I have a lengthy list of techniques I'd like to try for the sake of research, but haven't yet due to limited time and resources (if it ain't broke, etc.) I haven't tried Krylon Glitter Blast personally because I'm a little wary of (a) reports of the nozzle clogging, like this one and (b) the somewhat hefty price. The internet leads me to believe Michael's and Joann's both carry it, so maybe if there's a day when I have a spare coupon (admittedly, that sounds unlikely) I can pick some up and try it out.

Rhinestone Tutorials:
DIY Rhinestone Heels

Miscellaneous Tutorials:
DIY Sequin Shoes

DIY Dolce & Gabbana Style Sequined Heels
This looks time-consuming, but the end result is amazing: so layered and complex. For Muses shoe purposes you could possibly replace the sewing of the sequins with gluing (and of course add some glitter for extra shimmer).

Shoe Painting Tutorial
This could look great combined with some glitter, you could do some very cool Mondrian-type patterns if you were patient

A few notes of my own:
- I think spray-painting a base coat onto the shoe can be a big help; I don't do this for every shoe, but it can certainly improve the final product and cut down on the number of layers you need (which saves time and money in the long run).
- Cover the whole shoe! other people don't adhere to this and produce some mighty fine looking shoes, but in my eyes this is essential: to me, covering every inch with glitter and/or sequins is what makes a shoe art.
- A lot of the tutorials you'll find online (ok, essentially all of them) are focused on making wearable shoes, so bear in mind the Muses shoe priorities are a little different: wearable shoes need to retain some flexibility so they don't crack when you walk in them, should be sealed after glittering, etc. Stiffness in a Muses shoe is fine (and will help the shoe keep it's optimal shape when displayed), and the shoe is presumably going to be displayed or put away in a safe spot so its ability to withstand a lot of use/environmental pressures isn't an issue either. I don't seal the shoe because I haven't found a method yet that doesn't seriously diminish the shimmer (experimentation will continue).
- Speaking of stiffness, I find if a shoe has some fabric components and/or is a little more pliable, it helps to stuff the show with bubble wrap, plastic bags or newspaper so it'll keep it's proper shape and then coat with a layer of glue to seal up some of pores in the fabric and "lock in" the proper shoe shape before glittering. That way, the shoe doesn't end up looking smooshed or misshapen. I keep an eye out at Thrift Stores for shoes that are a little misshapen but can be "rescued."
- I like to line the edges of shoes with something for a clean finished look (sequin trim, sequins, rhinestones, etc.)
- If you're using a semi-translucent glitter and/or its a pale color, it's worth adding some paint to the glue to help bring out the color. I did this for the 2013 Hubig's Pie shoe to get a nice, vivid lemon yellow. If the glitter is more opaque (like Tulip or most shade of Recollections), this isn't an issue. For more on this, see this post.

1 comment: