Monday, March 25, 2013

Sucre Shoe (work in progress)

New Orleans natives have a tendency to place a lot of cultural emphasis on tradition, and we can sometimes take it to impressive extremes. Just consider the intense level of attachment New Orleanians express for things which do not actually exist any more. Consider exhibit A, exhibit B, exhibit C, exhibit D ..and I could go on. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with this approach, and certainly count myself in that number, but seriously...New Orleanians publish and read books about restaurants that you cannot patronize without a time machine.

Considering our fondness for things that have been in NOLA forever, the degree to which Sucre has become iconic in a relatively short time is pretty remarkable. Everything at Sucre is ludicrously delicious, they make the prettiest King Cakes of all time and even if you don't have a sweet tooth the distinctive designs of their products, packaging and shops are treats in and of themselves. That being said, my favorite thing about Sucre is that it symbolizes, in my mind at least, New Orleanians' capacity to make room in our hearts to love new things too.

I was so pleased with the Muse-ified logo/packaging I did for the Hubig's shoe that I wanted to try it again with some other beloved (and recognizable) NOLA brands and cultural landmarks. I hunted for a while for glitter that reasonably represented the signature Sucre colors (a distinctive combination of intense seafoam green with accents of rich chocolate brown) and set to work on a pair of open toe pumps that had the right retro Hollywood feel. It's still got a ways to go, but here are a couple of shots of the Sucre shoe starting to take shape:



No comments:

Post a Comment