Friday, June 28, 2013

Buying Shoes

My strategy for buying shoes is much less developed than for other supplies, largely because the options for getting them at low enough prices are more limited. Thrift stores are my main source for base shoes, but I also occasionally pick up some on e-bay ($3-$5) or at Payless and Target (in the $8 or $9 per pair range). Ideally, a pair of shoes should be no more than $4-$5, but I have been known to go above that for something really special. I don't ever ever go over $10 a pair, because I really hate to spend more than $5 per shoe including decoration supplies (that doesn't include time, just raw materials). I hear tell of people getting shoes from their friends, though I can't say this is a common source for me. Estate sales (the first cousins of Thrift Stores) are also an option.

On e-bay, I'll sort shoes based on price + shipping (lowest first), then bid on any that I think have potential. The nice thing about e-bay is you can set that max bid wherever you want to, and (if you can force yourself to walk away) leave it at that. I win less than 5% of the shoes I bid on, but that's ok because the ones I do win are where I want to be in terms of price point. The disadvantage of e-bay is that, as with all online shopping, you have to evaluate the shoes based on pictures, so it can be tougher to get a good idea of what you're buying.

At Goodwill, pricing is usually hand-written on the sole of the shoe. I try to buy shoes that are in good condition and are in the $4-$6 range. Every once in a while I'll get a $6.99 pair. It used to be all the shoes at Goodwill were less than $4, but $6.99 is becoming much more common.

Shape-wise, the traditional pump is most "Muse-y" to me, but I love peep-toes, wedges, really high heels, high heeled sandals/mules and shoes with platforms. Small sizes tend to work better, so if I have a choice I go for the smallest of whatever's available. The smaller sizes take up less glitter, and in my opinion have a cuter shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment