Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Oyster Shells

I'm researching some ideas/design inspiration for an oyster/mother-of-pearl shoe, both out of respect for the oyster's cultural importance in New Orleans and a personal enthusiasm for them that at times borders on obsession (one time I got a half dozen oysters as an appetizer...then another dozen as my entree...)

I'm a big fan of the various walking/motorcycling/horse-back-riding groups that march in Muses and other parades, and you can't really talk about oyster shells without talking about the Bearded Oysters, famous for their hand decorated oyster shell "throws" (I use parentheses to indicate they are gently handed rather than thrown, not to suggest they are somehow lesser in any way than other throws). Neat Nola Defender article on the decorated shells here. I'm assuming this gorgeous photo depicts a lucky oyster recipient.

New Orleanians may also be familiar with Valerie McCreary, who paints oyster shells with nail polish and incorporates the beautiful dark eye of the oyster into the design. Here's another NOLA oyster artist (etsy seller NOLAOysterArt)...I wonder what kind of paint that is? It's so luminous!

Anyways, I've been doing a bit of research into both (1) preparing and using oyster shells for crafts and (2) saving some links in case I wuss out and want to just buy some clean shells:
Martha Stewart Oyster Shell Dish
http://www.seashellmarket.com/cleaning.asp
http://goflorida.about.com/od/beaches/a/shells_cleaning.htm
Etsy supplier #1 (more pearly and less oyster-y than the gulf oysters I'm picturing, but it would still get the effect across)
Etsy supplier #2 (more traditionally oyster-esque, though I would want to make them snazzier)
Another etsy seller
Another useful supply site for ordering shells (especially if you want to buy shells by the 1 lb case)


Not shoe-related, but oyster related:


No comments:

Post a Comment