Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Dr. Bob - Be Nice or Leave

I was in Crabby Jack's over Easter weekend, and was admiring the Dr. Bob art on the walls, signs and menu board. Then a little while later I ran into some Dr. Bob paintings again, this time at the Palmer Park Saturday Art Market.

At the time, I was pretty mentally occupied by the vendor nearby selling earrings made from actual dried, shellacked crawfish (talk about a conversation piece), but later I was thinking about it and, as I'm always looking for uniquely NOLA inspirations for shoes, I wanted to go ahead and compile a little research for a Dr. Bob shoe:


In addition to the bright colors and the lettering bordered in a contrasting color, one of the signatures of the Dr. Bob paintings that jumps out at me is the use of bottle caps around the edges. I've been saving a few Abita bottle caps for some Abita Shoes. If I can get my hands on some Barqs bottle caps, I think I'll be set.

The Barq's sign at Deannie's. Seriously though, how tremendous is the slogan "DRINK BARQ'S - IT'S GOOD?" You just know nobody over thought that one. It's impossible to picture an episode of Mad Men where they pitch that ad campaign.

The question is what to write on the shoe? The universality of  "Be Nice or Leave!" is appealing, but I might like something more Muses-flavored (Be Glittery or Leave?)


No comments:

Post a Comment