Saturday, April 13, 2013

Estate Sale Sat. 4/13/13

I follow The Occasional Wife on Facebook, and was pretty intrigued when I saw the announcement of an estate sale that included the description "home owner is a well-known costume designer in New Orleans--so many beautiful costumes, fabrics, and baubles.

We were up pretty early this morning and had some time before a crawfish boil later in the day, so we swung by and pretty much made out like bandits: $20 for a pair of velvet heels and a box full of trim (plus a wreath and bolt of fabric, not shown).

Some highlights of my haul from this morning:

Yards and yards of sequin trim

Tons of little fabric flowers (I'm going to experiment with (1) tinting these with some dye to get different colors and (2) covering them with glitter) and two big boas (one blue and gold, one purple, green and gold)

Very successful trip and I cannot wait to decorate shoes with some of the great, crazy-cheap trim I picked up. I don't know how consistently hitting up estate sales would work as a strategy, because I think this house happened to be packed to the gills with sparkle. It might be work keeping an eye out for listings that mention costuming supplies/fabric? I'm going to try to check Craigslist from time to time and see how often that comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment