Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Bonus Cake Shoe WIP

It's still a work in progress, but I wanted to share one more crazy birthday cake shoe I'm working on.

A while back I got a 24 pack of "flameless LED tea lights" at Michael's because, with a 40% off coupon, it's not a terrible price for fake flame components. By now y'all must think I live at Michael's, I swear...

Anyways, after a little quality time with the soldering iron and some extra components from RadioShack, the fake tealights have successfully been converted into fake birthday cake candles!!




The six candles were glued into a "standard" cake shoe, and all the wiring secured and covered with plenty of fake frosting. Because I think a Muses shoe should have a longer lifetime than the average Carnival throw, the lights are rigged up with a switch (discretely hidden in the icing) and the battery housing in held in place with white velcro and has some extra slack in the wiring so it can be relatively easily removed when new batteries are needed.


Not quite done, still needs some embellishment, glitter and glittering. If the color scheme rings a bell, it's because I've been trying to frost the cake to match the Gambino's Bakery sign.

Isn't it going to be fab?

No comments:

Post a Comment