Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Vintage Mardi Gras Shoe

This shoe is the mate to the one that became the Ruby Slipper, and I wanted to make use of it's classical lines. I'd also done quite a few bright and sassy purple green and gold shoes, so I was thinking of ways to riff on that classic color combo.

I did this shoe with the general theme of vintage Mardi Gras, and was thinking along the lines of the old line Krewes' Mardi Gras balls and invitations (some nice examples of this collected here).


The Vintage Mardi Gras shoe is done in a more muted purple, green and gold color palette (the green is Recollections "pesto," the purple is Martha Stewart "amethyst" and there are two shades of gold on the shoe, Recollections "champagne" and "gold").

 I had a pair of high heeled sandals with rhinestone straps which were slated to be donated or tossed, but instead I hung onto them for Muses shoes. I removed the rhinestone trim with a seam ripper and repaired it in a few spots with E6000. Also to be tossed was a severely beaten up and broken tiara that my mother had worn when she was Queen of the Spring Fiesta. I would guess it got beat up because she generously let my careless little hands destroy it when I was playing dress up as a little girl...sorry/thanks for that, Mom.  It was too far gone to be repaired to tiara form but I thought I might be able to salvage some pieces for a Muses shoe, and threw it into my stash of supplies. I assembled the broken pieces and combined with a strip of rhinestone trim to make a little crown that wrapped around the top of the shoe.

I had a little packet of pale purple, green and gold rhinestones from a post-Mardi Gras sale at Michael's two Mardi Gras back. There weren't a lot of rhinestones in the bag, but the colors matched this theme well and I embellished the crown and the strip of rhinestones across the foot with them. I added a cluster of feathers, and wrote "Muses" in a fancy script in gold glitter and gold beads using transfer. The year (2014) is on the toe in gold glitter (Recollections "champagne").







No comments:

Post a Comment