Thursday, May 9, 2013

Work in Progress - Carnival Harlequin Shoe

I wanted to do something that screamed Carnival without being purple, green and gold (though, don't get me wrong, I LOVE purple, green and gold) had been bookmarking some Harlequin mask reference images (like this one), so even though the heel was a little low for a Muses shoe, I snapped these shoes right up at Goodwill:
They were originally red patent leather, I base coated one with gold spray paint and the other silver. 

I've been following the existing checkerboard pattern using bright colors alternating with gold (green and purple are in there, but so are teal and pink). The interior is hot pink (Recollections in color "Raspberry"), the heel is purple (Tulip) and the sole is teal (Recollections in color "Peacock).

Most of the colors still need second coats, but you can get a sense of where it's going:




Once I'm satisfied with the glitter, I'm going to outline the checkerboard pattern with this Simplicity trim that's black with little wee rhinestones studded through it (I like it because it picks up the colors in the shoe, and it's very narrow and delicate so it'll emphasize the pattern without blocking most of it out). I bought some odd and ends on clearance at Michael's, but I spotted it still on the spool at Joann's and took a picture of it in the wild:


Also, this one has lots and lots of feathers in it's future. The main top and bottom edge will likely be trimmed with sequin trim (likely purple).

No comments:

Post a Comment