Thursday, January 8, 2015

Twelfth Night - Happy Carnival!

If you attended the 12th Night Muses Brew launch event, you may have seen some of my shoes being auctioned to raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, where I work. Twelfth Night (Jan. 6th) just so happens to be Danny Thomas' birthday, so it's a nice little coincidence.

The three that were auctioned were:

1) The Lucky Dog Cart Shoe (blog post here):

The wheels really roll!


2) The Fried Shrimp Poboy Flip Flop (blog post here):



3) Ice Cream Sundae Shoe:


This is the only picture I have of this one, but it's a lot like a sno-ball heeled shoe, except with a two scoop ice cream sundae including chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry on top. The ice cream scoops are foam balls, the whipped cream swirl on top is silicone caulk, the sprinkles are multi-colored bugle beads. The shoe and cup are silver and aqua-marine with aurora borealis rhinestones scattered over the cup and along the foot strap.

Links to articles on the Muses Brew:
http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf/2015/01/sampling_the_krewe_of_muses_ma.html
http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf/2014/12/nola_brewing_teams_up_with_kre.html
http://wgno.com/2015/01/06/the-krewe-of-muses-nola-brewing-co-create-new-beer/

I couldn't attend the event, but I hear the auction of these three raised a little over $500 for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, which is a great birthday present!! I also expect a few new visitors are here because of the auction, and if so - welcome!! Let me know if you have any questions and please share your shoes here or over on Pinterest....I love seeing other people's shoes!!

HAPPY CARNIVAL!!

6 comments:

  1. I tried using the silicone caulk method to make "whipped cream". It worked out in the end but it was extremely difficult using an icing bag and decorating tip. Any suggestions? I'd like to use this method to make fur for an Elmo shoe but that idea might be put on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in particular was difficult? I have some trouble getting it out of the original tube and moving it to the bag without a caulk gun (I eventually took the bottom off and transferred with a disposable knife). Next time, I'm going to wait until I have a bunch of stuff that needs "icing" and do it all at once for this reason. It also gets really tough to work with if you let it sit for a while and dry out at all. I used a heavy ziploc freezer bag rather than an icing bag (because I don't have any) and added some tape around where the bag met the tip to keep it extra secure. Don't know if any of that would help. For fur you might not need a tip, you make be able to just pipe it on the shoe and make the texture with a small paintbrush or tooth pick like she does in the original tutorial: http://www.sheknows.com/living/articles/965787/diy-cake-postcard-tutorial

    I'm going to try to make some more iced shoes soon, I will make sure to share any tips I figure out from more exposure to the material here!! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nori - do you have an IG account?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Not really. I have a personal account, but I haven't been posting anything to it...I'm going to ask my sister to help me set it up, so hopefully soon!

      Delete