Friday, January 16, 2015

Decorated Sunglasses

With the new baby at home, I wanted to try branching out into glittering other (smaller) things besides shoes, so I started doing some sunglasses this year.

Like Nyx purses or Muses shoes, the Krewe of Iris throws hand-decorated sunglasses. According to this article, Iris chose sunglasses in honor of the fact that they've never had to cancel their parade due to inclement weather, which is especially impressive considering the Krewe's existed since 1917.

I love the idea of working on something wearable - the challenges for sunglasses as a "canvas" are totally different and I've been having so much fun with that. The online community for Iris sunglasses decorators isn't as big as Nyx or Muses (yet), but you can find a few examples on Instagram, Facebook, etc. My Pinterest research page (limited though it may be) is here.

In my first go I made these four pairs:

Purple and gold butterfly sunglasses with aurora borealis rhinestones:

Purple jeweled sunglasses:

Rainbow sequined heart sunglasses:

And, my favorite, teal peacock sunglasses:

I modified my shoe glittering technique to be better suited to sunglasses (I'm still working it out, but getting pretty happy with it now that I've done a few pairs). I wanted to use a lot of purple (to invoke iris blossoms) and rainbows (because Iris is the personification of the rainbow in Greek mythology). I was inspired by this pair of DIY turkey sunglasses, but thought I'd do it as a peacock (Iris' favorite bird) instead. I made the little peacock body with foam, glitter and little crystal rhinestone eyes.

I put the writing ("2015," "Hail, Iris" and "Krewe of Iris") on the sides of the glasses:


Here is my gorgeous sister modeling them:






Pretty good start, looking forward to making more!

12 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and I absolutely love your work! I'm also a new Iris rider and am looking forward to decorating sunglasses in the upcoming year. Can I ask what you used for the base of the butterfly and peacock designs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay!! I was really hoping to get some Iris sunglasses ladies reading the blog! You are very welcome, thanks for coming!

      I intend to blog about this further in the future, but my two main sources for sunglasses are Michael's and Oriental Trading. The butterfly sunglasses are from Michael's, but are unfortunately a seasonal item so they're probably sold out by now. They come out with a bunch of fun shaped sunglasses around Christmas that are $2.99 a pair. I went in and bought a bunch of butterfly and heart sunglasses with a 20% off coupon, so they were $2.40/pair for pretty good quality and fun shapes. Oriental Trading sells a bunch of cheap sunglasses, but I think the Black Nomad are the only ones that are reasonable quality-wise. They're 10 for a dozen, so less than $1/pair, which is great. I'm always looking to try and strike a balance between cheap enough to throw and good enough quality to be worth the time and love it takes to decorate them. So the peacock glasses are just plain frames, but I made the peacock "body" out of foam.

      I don't know if you're on Pinterest, but I've been gathering ideas/techniques/inspiration here if you're interested: https://www.pinterest.com/shoeglitternola/decorated-diy-sunglasseskrewe-of-iris/

      For butterfly shaped frames, you could try something like this: http://bywilma.com/diy/diy-crazy-party-sunglasses/

      using glitter foam sheets like these: http://www.amazon.com/Craft-10-Pack-Sheets-7-Inch-Glitter/dp/B009GIF5YS/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1425074265&sr=1-1&keywords=glitter+foam+sheets

      Delete
  2. Hi! I've been riding in Iris for about 25 years. I just found your blog - and will follow to get more ideas. Having been an avid scrapbooker for many years I have tons of embellishments hanging around I can use!
    Plush Appeal also has fair decent quality sunglasses for not a lot of money (and an additional discount if you tell them you're with a Krewe). Also big bottles of amazing colors of glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, always happy to have Iris ladies visit! I'm going to try to post my tips on working with sunglasses here soon. Thanks for the Plush Appeal tip, I'd never heard of them and definitely need to check then out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity.. con occhiali da sole

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article was written by a real thinking writer. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back. persol occhiali da sole donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. gucci occhiali sole

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. Toddler glasses

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can choose from polarized sunglasses that offer UV protection to keep your eyes safe from the harmful rays of the sun, or you can choose polarized sunglasses that are made to provide greater safety in water. To get more detailed info on Cheap men's sunglasses, visit on hyperlinked site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very informative article, to know more about sunglasses for women online visit Chokore

    ReplyDelete