Saturday, July 26, 2014

Lucky Dog Cart Shoe

After all my big talk about how much I love working on shoes year round, I went and took a very long hiatus from glittering. Apart from the Kale-Gate Shoe I posted in March, I hadn't really worked on any 2015 shoes. Various things came up: big exciting stuff at work, moving to a new place and (the biggest impediment to glittering) I got pregnant. My husband and I are expecting our first (a boy) in about a month and change. So, while I don't think I'll be able to get many shoes done for 2015 (certainly nowhere near as many as I finished in 2014), now that we're moved and settled and I'm trying to make some now while I still can. I have about a dozen shoes in progress right now. I've been working very slowly, but I have a handful of shoes in progress that are close enough to done to be worth sharing here.

We moved so we'd have more room and (joy of joys!) this included a garage where I could set up a little work space for shoes:

This was before I actually starting using it...It's a LOT messier now

It's nothing spectacular but I love it beyond words. In our old place, I had to unpack and repack things whenever I wanted to work on shoes because I didn't have dedicated space, so I spent about as much time cleaning up after myself as working on shoes. Now I can work on things and leave them out, and it's way easier to find things now that my supplies and shoes are better organized.

Anyways, without further ado, let me share some pictures of a nearly finished 2015 shoe - The Lucky Dog Shoe!


This shoe is inspired by the Lucky Dog Cart, which I would guess is recognizable to any New Orleanian whose been in the French Quarter and was, of course, featured prominently in Confederacy of Dunces. The "bun" is Recollections "champagne" and Martha Stewart "copper," to achieve the two-tone effect. I could probably have gone a little browner to get the top of the bun a little toastier, but that was the closest thing I had in the stash without custom blending.  The "hot dog" is Martha Stewart "carnelian" and the mustard  is WOW! glitter in "sunflower" (over yellow Scribbles paint because the yellow glitter is  pretty translucent). The top and bottom edges of the top bun are lined with gold sequin trim.

The interior is Martha Stewart "garnet" (to match the red box on top of the cart). The big chunky heel is meant to stand in for the brown box on the end of the cart, with "New Orleans Tradition" rotated 90 degrees (artistic license). The heel is Martha Stewart "brownstone" and the yellow lettering is, like the mustard, WOW! glitter "sunflower" over yellow Scribbles paint.

The "LUCKY DOGS" lettering is Martha Stewart "orange topaz," with yellow edging (again, "sunflower" over yellow Scribbles paint). On the other side, "MUSES" is written in the same font as "LUCKY DOGS."






  The umbrella is a little drink garnish umbrella painted with WOW! "sunflower" and Martha Stewart "garnet." Where on the Lucky Dog cart's umbrella "Enjoy Coca-Cola" would be written, I've written "2015" in (Scribbles paint in "white mist" with white glitter).

Wee glittery "2015" umbrella

Profile view showing the lettering on the left side

I'm toying with getting some wheels on there as well to make it extra cart-like. I'll post more pictures if/when I add the wheels. More shoes very soon!

4 comments:

  1. Nori - do you ever have trouble with new glitter sticking to previous glitter? Like, for example, did any of the yellow get caught in the red for the hot dog and mustard? I've been having difficulties with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not usually - I do one color at a time and let that totally dry before adding on new colors. I did the red hot dog, let it totally dry, then added the mustard. After a coat is dry but before adding on the next color it also really helps if you give the shoe a good smack against the floor of your glitterage/side of the table/whatever works for you to shake off any glitter that isn't totally adhered by the now dry glue. I also sometimes use a big brush (I buy brushes in big variety packs and can't use the biggest ones for glue) to brush off un-adhered glitter (like an archeologist brushing away dust from dinosaur bones). That works nicely. I don't usually do that if I'm doing a second or third layer of the same color (which I almost always do), but it helps for changing colors (it also prevents cross contamination- you don't want loose glitter from color #1 shaking off into your tube of color #2....I ruined plenty of tubes of pale colors before figuring that out). If you're still having trouble, it might help to seal with a little spritz of hair spray before you add the next color - that keeps glitter from shaking loose/brushing off, but doesn't dull the shine. I use AquaNet. Hope that helps!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What font did you use for the lettering?

    ReplyDelete