Saturday, March 8, 2014

2014 Shoes - Lessons Learned

My sister's shoes bagged and ready to pack up for her 2014 ride.
My 2014 batch represented my third year of working on Muses Shoes (and of course, the first year I started actually keeping notes in blog/Pinterest form). It was certainly my most prolific year, both because I worked on them year round and because it's great stress relief and, for a whole  host of reasons, this past year was one where I needed a lot of that (though this year's going great so far). For Muses 2013, I only did 10 shoes. For 2012 I worked on a bunch, but didn't really do that many on my own (we sort of tag-teamed for 2012).

I can't really compare anything to that first year learning curve (which was INTENSE), but I think this was probably the year where I learned the most: I got to pick up some amazing tips from other ladies who work on Muses Shoes, I had a life-changing visit to The Glitter-age, and I got insights from my sister riding as a sub that had just never clicked for me before. In no particularly order, these were some of my takeaways from this year's shoes:

(1) I had never actually bagged and packed shoes before this year. I'd been keeping them in big ziplocs, and transporting them to NOLA in small batches. Once you start to pack them, you really quickly see what's fragile and what's fine to just shove into the bottom bag...and you want a lot more of the latter than the former. Fans of feathers, peacock feathers and single plumes are tougher to pack than shoes decorated with puffs of boa or marabou. A few delicate shoes are ok, but by and large tough shoes that can handle the ride are preferable.

(2) The importance of what I'm going to call generic-ness (or maybe versatility would be kinder?) I helped my sister load in and got her feedback post-ride. When you're riding, no matter how well you've organized your stuff, space is limited and it's tough to lay hands on a particular throw/shoe at any given moment, and when someone you know turns up on the route, you're going to grab whatever you can. If you see someone on the route dressed as Mike the Tiger, you may not be able to get your hands on an LSU shoe fast enough. If you have a friend who loves nothing better than Australian romance novels, you just may not be able to get that unique, custom shoe you elaborately built around that theme into their hand at the right moment. Some spots on the route it's a few people deep and you can get special shoes to your close friends with a little luck, and in some spots the crowds are much much crazier and it's more hit or miss. I hear a lot of horror stories on the web of people throwing their best shoes to their loved ones and seeing them stolen away. So, for 2015 I'm going to try to balance a bit better and keep universal appeal a priority in all my shoes.

(3) On that note, I have no idea what other riders do, but my sister threw only TWO of her shoes to people she knew (a family member, and neighbor who's like family) and every other shoe she threw to A STRANGER who (1) asked nicely, (2) was polite/well-behaved, and/or (3) had a sign she enjoyed. There's a lesson in there. I also recently read an article where a shoe-glittering Muse pointed out that her friends all had shoes already, so her 2014 shoes were all going to strangers. No one is entitled to a shoe (it drives me NUTS when I see that attitude on the Muses FB page) and there are not a ton of them to be had any given year (at most 30 per rider, and that's if every rider throws them), but it's not impossible to catch a shoe. The rarity of catching one is what makes it magical. Pray to the Goddesses of Carnival, ask the ladies riding very nicely, and if it just wasn't your year, there's always another. A parade is a heck of a free show, anything you catch on top of that is Lagniappe.

(4) It's funny which shoes are the biggest "crowd pleasers," they may not be the ones you put in the most hours on. My most repinned shoes of 2014 were (1) The Vintage Mardi Gras Shoe (2) The Snobliz Shoe and (3) The Roman Candy Wagon Shoe. If you're curious, my personal favs were the Retro Tattoo Shoe (which was one of the more time intensive), the Artichoke Shoe and the Ain't Dere No More Shoe.

(5) I had a ton of people tell me the shoes are prettier in person than in the photos...I don't know how to solve this. Shoe viewing party? Get-togethers with other shoe glitterers?

(6) Aqua Net hairspray to seal the shoes...what a revelation this was!!

(7) Always keep an eye out for supplies and ideas. They are everywhere. The stuff I save in my craft stash now has gotten embarrassing.

(8) Year round is the way to go (at least for me). I will get so much more done and be so much more relaxed if I take it on in manageable little chunks.

(9) Note to self: finish a shoe 100% before packing it up...I had a bunch of 95% finished shoes to finish up in  February, and it was kind of a hassle/boring to do them all in one go. I'm going to let myself leave a few unfinished, but mostly I need to see each and every shoe through. The other side of that coin is, I didn't have totally finished pics of a lot of my shoes, so I also need to be patient about waiting to photograph and posting a 100% finished shoe, rather than a 90-95% finished shoe. That doesn't seem to be a problem for other shoe glitterers (especially the ones who post their whole year's collection in one go), so this may just be a personal failing.

(10) Looking around the 'net, Pinterest, Facebook and shamelessly oogling shoes in the wild as people caught or threw them... it is clear to me that everyone seriously up'ed their shoe game this year. There were some unbelievable shoes out there this year (check out my board of Other People's Muses Shoes, you'll see what I mean). If I'm going to keep up, I'll need to bring my A game. I PLEDGE TO STEP IT UP FOR 2015.

Now, I know anyone who comes here probably comes for the pictures, not my meandering notes-to-self. We're going to be moving mid-April, so my supplies will be packed up until then, but I will resume posting shortly thereafter.

10 comments:

  1. Nori,

    Your blog and your shoes have been such an inspiration to me. This was my first year riding (after several years on the waiting-list) and glittering shoes in the weeks leading up to the parade was one of the highlights. I wouldn't have known what and how to get ideas out of my head onto the shoes without your tips and tutorials. A million glittery thanks!

    There are two things I learned this year from other people that I wanted to share with you:

    1) Adding India ink to Mod Podge to tint the glue to a desired color can save the step of pre-painting and adds a lot of depth when using clear glitter over the tinted glue.

    2) For taking photos of finished shoes, B&H Photo (and Amazon) sell photo studio kits for about $45 that come with lights and plain backdrops to help take professional looking photos of small items.

    Your shoes are absolutely works of art. I can't wait to see what you come up with for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on making it!!! I've given up any hope of the waiting list- but love to help a friend do a few shoes. Love your suggestion on the india ink!

      Delete
    2. Jenna- Congrats, first year riding must've been so exciting!! I fell in love with Muses long after the waiting list had closed. Membership is something I can't even dream of. Luckily some really great friends of ours ride, so we can enjoy some vicarious thrills (including my sister sub riding this year) and now that I'm online with my glittering habit I'm "meeting" fellow shoe-glitterers which is awesome.

      Thanks for both those tips! I've started mixing a little paint in with the glue whenever I do white, yellow or orange to make them "pop" a little more, but will definitely try India ink. I bet you could achieve some gorgeous tinting with the more translucent Martha Stewart glitters. I do need to up my photo game, especially since, beyond a handful of shoes that go into my personal collection or to close friends, I never see most of my shoes again. Will look into the studio kit, thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Nori - any tips to other decoratos for how to make small patterns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a limit to how small you can go, and I try to size things as large as I can because I know it'll be tough. A freshly opened tube of Tulip 3D paint tends to achieve the finest line for me. I also find the glitter Tulip colors come out a little more controlled than the matte colors. The more I do it, the more control I'm developing (like anything, practice makes perfect). For really fine stuff, I had a glitterer recommend this technique to make the nozzle a little narrower: http://www.favecrafts.com/Techniques/How-to-Fine-Tip-Glue-Bottle

      I also occasionally use an itty bitty paintbrush for fine details like the facial features on the pie man on the Hubig's Pie shoe (http://glitteringshoes.blogspot.com/2013/06/transfers-mini-how-to-guide.html)

      Delete
  3. So Glad you posted this Nori. I love reading your blog.

    1.) The addition of the bags and ties just adds the specialness of the shoe! Virginia Saussy mentioned that in that video interview she did not too long ago. I think she compared it to receiving a present.

    2.) Hope you dont give up too much of the great themed shoes- they really are inspiring.

    3.) Had I known her location I would have definatly made a sign and begged very politely. Some people on the routes are so bad. This year seemed really bad as far as greed and attitudes. Someone on the Muses pages talking about how they got 6 shoes and it was a LEAN year is kinda bad. I've never caught a random one myself but was given one from a FB friend this year. Makes the experience.

    4.) Looks like I need to pin the Waterlillies and Butterfly garden a few more times. lol.

    6.) Tried the Aquanet- I dont think I used enough still had a good deal of shed - Do you do a quick pass or really spray alot on?

    7.) LOL on the supplies. I dig through the Michael's 1.50 bins all the time! Storage for all the odds and ends is definately a problem though.

    9.) I like your posts that show progression from just glittering to all the embellishment. I often she a final picture and wish I knew what they used or how they did something. Keep it up.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, I use the Aqua Net as well, and I do spray a lot on it. I find that it does not "dull" the glitter as much as a clear coat spray does.

      Delete
    2. Jenna - Thank you so much! It's been so surprising but thrilling to have other shoe glitterers find this blog and make a little online community. I guess that's the magic of the internet...no matter how weird your hobby may seem, there are always other people out there just as into it.

      1) I couldn't get over how pretty the bag and bow makes already quite pretty shoes! The comparison to a fancy gift makes sense.

      2) Definitely going to keep doing themed shoes, as those are always the favs, but I want to try and keep them more universal, to New Orleaneans at least. So, NOLA inside jokes are fine (I think any local would've enjoyed the Snoball shoe or the Roman Candy Wagon), but maybe not a Tulane shoe or an LSU shoe, if that makes sense? I dunno, I'm still working on striking a good balance.

      3) Everyone was pretty well behaved where I was watching, but my sister confirms what I've seen on Facebook (rudeness, greediness, etc.) It sounds like Muses reward politeness, so hopefully people will learn that's what pays off. I also don't get people who keep multiple shoes...I say catch all you can, but give your extras away to the people around you and make someone else's night!!

      4) :)

      6) Do you do multiple coats? If you're getting a lot of shedding, it may be you don't have enough glue. I don't worry too much on my first coat, but on my second coat I make sure to put the glue down generously (the first coat of glitter kind of helps hold it on there). Not so thick that it runs, but a pretty good coat. Also, when it's dry I'd really shake the excess off, either by giving it some good smacks against the table (with a sheet of paper underneath) and/or giving it a once over with a big paintbrush. That'll take most of the excess off for me, then the AquaNet does the rest. I do a light coating, let it dry, then do another, and repeat until I'm happy with the "seal." Nothing's going to be perfect, but it certainly helps and I don't notice any dulling.

      7) Ugh, the storage!! I hear you. Such a problem. I'm usually a very organized person, I just don't have the space. I deeply envy people with craft rooms/glitterages.

      9) I will keep up documenting the progression, I also love seeing step by step on crafts.

      Delete
  4. I love your blog and your pictures. Such inspiration and motivation. I plan to work on them all year this year too. My shoes for 2014 were okay, but not my best. I still can't believe how small this world is, now knowing that your uncle was my husband's best man in our wedding and your dad is our tax man! I can't wait to meet you in person!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? Too funny! It's like I always tell my husband: New Orleans is a big city and a small world. I hear my dad say your name and was like "I'm sure I know that name..." and then figuring out that if you were riding in Muses, it was probably from the online glitter community! So glad you like the blog, can't wait to meet you too!

      Delete