Monday, September 9, 2013

Weekend Update!

I started this "blog" as an online notebook where I could keep track of my notes, ideas, links, research, finished shoes and WIPs. Based on the comments I've been getting here, on Pinterest and through the grapevine, it would seem a few other glittered shoes enthusiasts and/or glitter fans are finding their way here from time to time as well! I had no idea that would be so exciting, but I'm loving the idea of other Muses fans sharing in my addiction over the internet, especially since I'm not living in NOLA at the moment (working on shoes and watching Steel Magnolias are my go-to for homesickness, which strikes often). Welcome and thanks for visiting! If you have questions, I am happy to answer them.

Not much shoe glittering this weekend, but I did do a little stocking up:

1) Two pairs of shoes at the Memphis Half-Price Goodwill. This is my new favorite shoe source, the prices are unbeatable and the competition for skyscraper heels much less intense than in NOLA (sorry, y'all).

2) My second order of Oriental Trading glitters arrived! I have described my enthusiasm for Oriental Trading glitter before, but the purple and green are especially good and I ran out of them pretty fast (for me). Below are the Fall Glitter Assortment (top) and the Halloween Assortment (bottom). To be fair, if you live close to Jefferson Variety, that probably fulfills your glitter needs better than anything else could hope to (and oh, how I envy you). Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I'm not as wild about the pale orange that comes in BOTH of these assortments, and am going to have to think of how to use up so much of it (another Louisiana Citrus? Abita Satsuma?). Still, I can't regret that Fall Glitter Assortment because in my eyes it might as well be renamed the "Hot Sauces of Louisiana Assortment." That's all I think of when I look at it. The Halloween Assortment, as I've mentioned previously, includes a great bright purple and bright green and black for Who Dat-ing (though, again, full disclosure, I feel I must warn you that Tulip, Martha Stewart and Recollections all make more sparkly black glitters)


3) Sunday I took a trip to Michael's to pick up some more red glitter (Recollections "cherry") because I was out (I recently picked up the ArtMinds red, which is great, but a little dark and I wanted more bright red on hand). I also brought in my Tiffany bag (my mom and sister bought me a necklace when I defended my PhD thesis) to try to match the glitters for a Tiffany Shoe that I'm mulling over. I eventually settled on mixing Martha Stewart "wintergreen" and Recollections "frost" (shown below with the bag) in like a 2:1 ratio. I will update on my progress. Those two are both pretty sheer, so I'm going to have to do an opaque teal base coat (like this shoe) or start with a white shoe (which I always keep an eye out for).


Halloween decor was 30% off on Sunday, so I picked up a few things: the black feathers and purple glitter balls spray and the two glittery skulls. I typically like to wait until holiday crafting supplies go more intensely on sale after the actual holiday in question because stretching the bargain limits for Muses shoes is part of the fun.* But there's also a balance to strike in terms of getting the best stuff before it sells out. That line exists in a different place for every person, for me it was these three things 30%, bubbles with a 40% off coupon a while back, and I'll wait and see on the rest. These are likely destined for a voodoo shoe or two. Lastly, there were some rhinestone trim rolls in with the cheap 5 yard sequin rolls in the $1 bins up front, so I got those in lime green, purple and blue.

*In Gumbo Tales, the author quotes another cookbook author's explanation of gumbo as "rendered palatable more as a result of care in their preparation, than any great skill of expertise, outlay in the selection of materials." This quote makes me think about how Muses shoes are essentially the gumbo of Mardi Gras throws. You make a Muses shoe like you'd make gumbo, not by spending a lot of money on ingredients or cooking lessons, but by taking your time and putting all your love into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment